I just wrote a post about the influence of music on youth. Here are five tips to make sure that your kids get the most out of what is coming out of those earbuds!
- Talk to your kids about the lyrics in their favorite songs. What messages are they conveying? Do they line up with how they see the world? If they were to write a song, what would the lyrics convey?
- Encourage your kids to sing and play instruments, participate in community radio, or learn about the history of a specific music genre (jazz, hip-hop, bluegrass etc...).
- Make sure the accompanying soundtrack to study time (if there is one) is quiet and relatively benign to ensure that they can concentrate.
- Earbuds out during meals!
- Bring music into your family life. For example, ask everyone in the family to create a playlist that they think describes them - play each on the next family road trip!
Happy listening, Erin Walsh